Topping pepper seedlings than fertilizing at home
The end of winter and the first half of spring is the time of growing pepper seedlings. In general, it is easy to cope with planting seeds, but caring for plants still raises some questions. This also applies to peppers.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
Today we will consider when it is necessary to feed seedlings, which means are better and how to avoid mistakes in this procedure.
When you need to fertilize seedlings of pepper
Immediately make a reservation that there are several methods of feeding pepper. We will only talk about the one that we consider the most effective. In accordance with this feeding scheme should be 4:
- Before picking seedlings. Usually carried out after the appearance of all seedlings. The task of fertilizing at this stage is to stimulate the growth of hatching sprouts and strengthen the immunity of young plants.
- Immediately after diving peppers. The essence of this top dressing is to help plants undergo the picking procedure. Basically, complex fertilizers are used at this stage, which help the seedlings to take root.
- 1-2 weeks after the dive. At this stage, the plant immunity is strengthened and saturation with beneficial microorganisms takes place so that the seedlings are ready for planting in open ground.
- Immediately before landing in open ground. This top dressing is needed to help plants take root in a new place.
ON A NOTE. There is no specific date for top dressing. You need to focus on the condition of your seedlings, their appearance and health. In some cases, it is allowed to shift the timing of fertilizer application.
How to determine the lack of trace elements in pepper seedlings
With an improper diet or lack of nutrition, seedlings react accordingly. Consider the signs of a lack of various trace elements in peppers.
- Phosphorus. Blue leaves and then its redness. Thinning of the stem and twisting of the leaves also occur.
- Calcium. The development of seedlings is slowing down. Gray spots appear on leaf blades. In this case, it is necessary to suspend the application of nitrogen-potassium fertilizers and mixtures.
- Iron. The death of tissue sheet plates. The reason is improperly selected soil.
- Nitrogen. Blanching foliage. Part of the leaves flies around.
- Potassium. The edges of the leaf plates dry out, and the main area is covered with yellow spots.
ON A NOTE. If there are signs of a deficiency of trace elements, it is necessary to stop feeding with mixtures containing the appropriate substances.
A step-by-step scheme for feeding seedlings of peppers
Peppers are fed during the growing period in several stages, which are associated with the development of seedlings. Let us consider in more detail what fertilizers should be applied at each stage.
ON A NOTE. We remind you that there are several schemes for feeding peppers. For example, some summer residents spend only 2 dressings: after a dive and again after 2 weeks.
How and what can be fed before picking peppers
At the growth stage, in a common box, seedlings can be fed with the following composition: 1 h spoon of urea, 5 ml of humate and 2 l of water.
Another option is this. 6 g of superphosphate, 2 g of potassium and 1 g of ammonium nitrate are diluted in 2 l of water.
TIP. To accurately measure the required amount of mineral components, use a "kitchen" scale.
If you do not have the opportunity to measure the exact amount of fertilizer, then instead of the above recipes, you can use Agricola solution prepared in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
What fertilizers do peppers need right after a dive
After the procedure, the seedlings must be fed with a product based on 2 hours of urea, 10 ml of humate, diluted in 2 liters of water.
As you can see, this top dressing is similar to the one that was carried out before the dive, but the concentration of substances here is 2 times higher.
How to feed pepper seedlings a week after a pick
7-10 after the pick, peppers are best fed with fertilizer based on ash. You will need a bucket of water and a glass of ash. The infusion is prepared for 2 days, after which watering is carried out. Watering should be on the edge of the pot, as far as possible from the stem.
IMPORTANT! It is necessary to use wood ash, and not coal from burnt household garbage.
If you do not have the opportunity to get wood ash, then use proven means: Epin or Aquarin.
How to fertilize before planting in open ground?
About a week before planting in the soil, when you will be hardening seedlings, seedlings can be fed with this solution: 8 g of potassium, 1 l of water, 6 g of superphosphate and 1 g of ammonium nitrate.
An alternative is foliar top dressing by the Athlete and Kornevin. These funds will help the plants gain strength and become stronger, which is extremely necessary when transplanting.
Fertilizer pepper seedlings folk remedies
If you prefer folk remedies, the most effective of them are solutions based on yeast, iodine, wood ash and banana skins.
The recipe for yeast fertilizer is this: a glass of sugar, 200 grams of diluted raw yeast and 6 liters of water. Everything is thoroughly mixed and roams for 7-10 days. The finished concentrate is diluted in a ratio of 1 to 50 (100 ml of solution in 5 l of water). Feeding is carried out every 2 weeks.
Feeding from iodine and yeast
Iodine is used not only to saturate plants with useful trace elements, but also to protect against fungal diseases. To prevent disease, add 1-2 drops of iodine to the yeast fertilizer.
How to feed wood ash
A wood ash concentrate is prepared on the basis of 1 tbsp of active ingredient and 2 l of hot water. The solution is kept for a day, after which it is filtered. The resulting tool can be used as root and foliar top dressing.
Banana dressing for pepper seedlings
The skins are finely chopped and poured with a 3-liter jar of hot water. The concentrate is aged for three days. Then it is diluted with the same amount of clean water.
What mineral fertilizers can I use?
Mineral fertilizers (urea, nitrate, superphosphate, potassium phosphate) are most effective. But it is very important to observe the recommended proportions when preparing the solution.
The three most effective complexes based on mineral substances:
- For 10 l of water: 40 g of superphosphate, 6 g of saltpeter, 16 g of potassium. Feed seedlings after emergence.
- For 5 l of water: 3 g of saltpeter, 10 g of potassium phosphate, 20 g of superphosphate. For top dressing before picking.
- For 5 l of water: 40 g of potassium. For top dressing before planting in the ground.
ON A NOTE. You can also use ready-made, instant drugs: Mortar, Kristalin, Clean sheet.
What biocomplexes can be used for pepper seedlings?
To seedlings grew and developed faster, you can use biocomplexes. The most effective and popular drugs are Phosphatovit, Ideal, Azotovit, Orton Micro, Kemira-Lux, Baikal, Naupsin, Heracles + and others.
These products contain a complex of active mineral substances that have a beneficial effect on pepper seedlings.
IMPORTANT! Fertilizing with a biocomplex can be carried out only at the doses specified by the manufacturer. If you make fertilizers for young plants, then the concentration needs to be halved.
What to do if seedlings are pulled, what trace elements are missing?
Elongated seedlings indicate a lack of potassium and phosphorus and an excess of nitrogen. To help plants cope with the disease, you can use fertilizers based on superphosphate and potassium phosphate. You can also bring seedlings to the balcony. It is necessary to take out for a short time (2-3 hours). At the same time, nitrogen fertilizers must be excluded from the diet.
IMPORTANT! Another reason for stretching seedlings is the lack of sunlight. After feeding the peppers, rearrange them closer to the window or purchase phytolamps for additional illumination.
What to do if seedlings are overfed?
First of all, it is necessary to determine which element is in excess, after which resuscitation measures should be carried out.
Table. Symptoms of overfed seedlings and ways to fix the problem
|Nitrogen||Peppers are "fattening."||Only transplanting to another soil|
|Phosphorus||Yellowing of leaf blades. Necrosis and falling leaves.||Sprinkle with 0.1% boric acid solution|
|Potassium||Slow growth. Stains appear, the leaf plate acquires camouflage.||Only transplanting to another soil|
|Calcium||Necrosis. The plant does not respond to feeding. The surface of the leaves turns yellow.||Water first, then feed with potassium sulfate|
|Boron||The appearance of drying spots. Curl top leaves||To water|
|Magnesium||Curl top leaves||Add potassium sulfate|
|Zinc||Redness of the leaves. The appearance of ulcers and growths, curling leaves.||Add superphosphate|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to feed organic matter?
Yes, but very carefully, reducing the concentration of the active substance.
Why is seedling drawn?
The two main reasons are a lack of phosphorus and potassium (an excess of nitrogen) and a lack of sunlight. We exclude nitrogen fertilizers and transfer seedlings closer to the light.
In what proportions to breed fertilizer?
Strictly follow the directions on the packaging or on the manufacturer’s website. For young plants, the concentration of the active substance can be halved.
Is it possible to use folk remedies with purchased ones?
We advise you to choose one thing. The fact is that in folk remedies it is difficult to calculate the concentration of mineral substances. Therefore, a great chance to "overfeed" seedlings. It is better to fertilize seedlings with light solutions based on store preparations.
- Introduction of undiluted organic fertilizers. This leads to burns of a weak root system.
- Stir dressing in cold water. It is necessary to prepare solutions on the basis of water for irrigation, that is, warm and settled.
- Inaccurate procedure. If fertilizers get on the leaves, signs of a chemical burn may appear.
- Plants are overfed. Excess fertilizer is even more harmful to peppers than their lack. Seedlings begin to hurt and become vulnerable to pests. It should also be borne in mind that some minerals neutralize the action of others. Therefore, top dressing must be done carefully. It is better to lower the rate of the drug and carry out the procedure twice than ruin the planting.
- Excess nitrogen. Nitrogen dressing can be carried out only 1 time. Most often, even small plants are treated with such fertilizer. The fact is that, due to the large amount of nitrogen, the seedlings will begin to “fatten”, i.e. accumulate green mass.
Fertilizing seedlings is the key to the health of seedlings. Proper application of fertilizers will help plants gain strength, it is easy to transfer the pick and landing in the ground.